Ravenclaws that go through existential crises every other week because of things they’re reading though
- like “WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE HAVE POTIONS HOMEWORK? I’M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHETHER OTHER MEANS OF TORTURE ARE ACTUALLY MORE ETHICAL THAN THE CRUCIATUS AND IF NOT THEN WHY ARE THEY LEGAL”
- or “I AM CALLING OFF QUIDDITCH PRACTICE TODAY BECAUSE I HAVE TO THINK ABOUT WHY QUIDDITCH IS DIVIDED BY HOUSES”
- or “I CAN’T GO TO RUNES BECAUSE I AM TOO UPSET ABOUT WITCH HUNTS IN THE MIDDLE AGES; IMAGINE WHAT THAT WOULD BE LIKE JUST IMAGINE IT”
- or “BUT WHY IS OUR CURRENCY SO ILLOGICAL CAN’T WE FIX IT”
- or “HOW DOES MAGIC GET PASSED DOWN BUT THEN ALSO APPEAR AT RANDOM NOBODY CAN EXPLAIN IT IS IT IN OUR BODIES OR IN OUR MINDS OR WHAT” (just calm down and come to transfiguration okay) “I WILL NOT CALM DOWN AND I WILL NOT COME TO TRANSFIGURATION”
- "IF YOU VANISH A THING AND CONJURE IT AGAIN IS IT THE SAME MATTER" "IS IT THE SAME ESSENCE" (it’s okay. just vanish the pincushion) "IT’S NOT OKAY"
“He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe. Which was going to be hard, because there wasn’t one.” -Terry Pratchett, Mort
Her true name was Chang Mo Chou, but her father’s broken English and a typist’s mistake on her Hogwarts’ registration form tore away her old name and replaced it with a new label. She didn’t mind. She was used to being labeled and re-labeled, floating like a feather upon the winds of Western whims. Her skin was no longer moon-light pale, as her mother had praised in the nursery, it was the yellow of old parchment and early spring blossoms. Respecting authority and keeping quiet was no longer a sign of good breeding (how many times had her mother told her that children should keep open ears and silent tongues?) - somehow, in English, her behavior translated into painful shyness and introversion. Tea was drunk cold as tap water, masked by shades of milk and sugar and the electric zing of lemon. Words melted from labours of art into cold formulas, each element carefully measured and lined up behind the one before.
Like the world around her, she too was simplified for Western consumption. First name, Cho, middle name, Mo, last name, Chang. Cho Chang. Cho didn’t mind. The words sounded like bells, ringing in the quiet distance. So would she live, ringing quietly and steadily, waiting for someone to hear her music in the wind. But not silver bells, Cho whispers to herself, a bronze ling, reciting the poem of her complex existence.
lotr meme: ten scenes [5/10] → the lighting of the beacons
thE BEACONS OF MINAS TIRITH
THE BEACONS ARE LIT